Friday, August 12, 2011

Nick Cardenas Interview

I recently had the wonderful opportunity of conducting an interview with center back Nick Cardenas who is currently on trial with Sporting Kc. Some of you may remember Nick from the 2010 season when he was brought in as a draft pick. I really like the guy and I had a couple of questions to ask him about what he's been doing since we last heard of him up in KC. He had this to say:


The Interview



TFM: So you played your college ball at SDSU, what was your favorite moment there? 

NC: My favorite moment? I actually had a lot of good memories but one had to be my very first year at school. That year I got my very first taste of the NCAA tournament and I was lucky enough to get it at UCSB, one of the best atmospheres in college. Just an unreal atmosphere and great game. Unfortunately we lost and they went on to win the tournament.

TFM: What was your major?

NC: It's weird I first went to school to be in Graphic Design, but I had my troubles freshman year and couple that with it taking up a ton of time so I had to switch it. So I left there majoring in Social Science and an emphasis in History.

TFM: After you're college experience you were selected in the Super-Draft by the then Kansas City Wizards, what was it like to be in your first  pro-soccer environment? 

NC: It was exciting and to be honest a lil nerve wracking. I went in realizing that all my hard work had sort of paid off but knew i still had some work and some convincing to do. Unfortunately I let my nerves get the best of me and it didn't work out for me at the time.

TFM: Like you said, things didn't work out with the Wizards, did you have any other offers from MLS teams?

NC: I actually had a run with my hometown Rapids team. They knew about me since I was a "homegrown" player at the time so they brought me in to training with them just to let me train. I think it was more of a generosity kind of thing just so they could see me play because they already had about 4 CB's on their roster. 

TFM: After your spell in the MLS you found a home in Puerto Rico with USL Pro team Sevilla FC Puerto Rico right? What was that like?

NC: Yes that is where I ended up at. In all honesty it wasnt my first choice but its probably a good thing I went there. While there i was able to correct some of the things in my game that were lacking a bit such as my technique. I was able to start and play in 20 + some odd games giving me the playing time and experience I needed. I had a good time while there and the country as a whole is a beautiful place. Very different from everything i was used to. I was able to catch up on my spanish and check out a new country.

TFM: How long were you with Sevilla FC Puerto Rico?

NC: I was with Sevilla FCPR for about 5 or 6 months

TFM: Did you win any titles with them?

NC: We were actually unfortunate not to win the PRSL league championship. We were the number one team all season and made it to the final but came up short at the end in a PK shootout.

TFM: In your eyes how does the USL Pro differ from MLS?

NC: In all honesty it doesn't differ much. The speed of the game is probably the biggest difference. Everyone is able to play a bit at that level its just a matter of how fast the game goes and how fast you can make decisions and adjust.

TFM: How do the fans compare?

NC: Fan support is still big. There may not be as many fans but that doesnt stop them from being very supportive fan bases. 

TFM: Now you're back in KC, who was instrumental in bringing you back up here?

NC: I have to give a lot of credit to my agent Eddie Rock. He has done some good things for me this year and getting me another run in over here is one of them. I couldnt be more thankful. 

TFM: How has the trial process been?

NC: Its gone very well I have to say. I'm getting pretty used to these sort of things now a days haha, but I feel good about how everything is going here for me. The guys have been welcoming and I am still friends with some of the guys from last year so it makes the process go a lot smoother and a lot more relaxing.

TFM: Sporting Kc have had some depth problems at center back lately and you are also a center back, do you think that gives you a better chance at getting onto the team?

NC: Yes I knew that Collin had gone down earlier in the year and then Monday playing along Cyrus I saw him go down. You never want to see anybody get hurt but if the team is lacking in that department I want to and am sure I can come in and help out. Thats the goal anyways right?

TFM: Haha yes, so If KC doesn't work out do you still have a place back in PR?

NC: Actually no, my season over in PR ended which is why I had the break to come out to KC and have another run with them. It may have been perfect timing with all the injuries and such but who knows. I'm just going out there, having fun, and trying to impress. 

TFM: You're a very big guy, 6'5 I believe. Do you feel as if that gives you an advantage over other center backs?

NC: I actually do think it gives an advantage. I mean that's usually the very first thing people say when they see me is how big I am. I think it gives me an advantage in ariel contests, especially against other big forwards. I feel I am able to go up and win the ball over anybody. It is actually something I pride myself upon.

TFM: What do you think are your best soccer abilities?

NC: Well like I said my size is definitely one and ariel contests are one of my strong suits. I have the ability to defend our box and attack the other box. I like to joke that it's the only reason im ever in a game and it's to win air balls. Set pieces are a strong suit of mine.

TFM: You're obviously not just a professional soccer player, what do you like to do outside of soccer?

NC: Well growing up in CO, I loved to go out and snowboard but I dont really take that risk much anymore. However I have gained very much a California attitude and I love going to the beach. I do love to go camping in the summer though. I love listening to music and finding new music. Sleeping and eating are other big hobbies of mine

TFM: How much of an influence does Twitter have for pro soccer players like yourself? 

NC: Influence? I'm not sure, but I will say its always entertaining when you see what people like Kei are doing. Its always a nice time waster when you aren't doing anything.  

TFM: Do you ever sit down and play a game of EA Sports Fifa? 

NC: Oh of course I do. Although I have been on the bandwagon of COD a lot more, I still get on the sticks and play a bit.

TFM: One last question, what is your FIFA nationality?

NC: FIFA nationality would be American, but I am also Spanish and Swedish.


As you can tell Nick is a great guy, I appreciate your time Nick! Good luck on the rest of the trial process. 

1 comment: